I have been slacking as usual when it comes to getting a new blog post up. I initially had to take a break because I smashed my finger in our van door and couldn’t use it for a while. Then I just procrastinated because I’m really really good at that. 🙂
Anyway, here is a painting I recently did of a little fox. I’ve been doing a lot of lettering lately and felt the need to do something a little different.
Materials Used (including links to where I purchased them):
Prismacolor Scholar Colored Pencils (Regular cheap colored pencils are perfect too.)
I started here by sketching a little fox on a little hill using my soft blue lead. I just purchased this lead for the first time and love the way it erases so easily when I need it to.
I gave the area around the fox a quick wash of light blue watercolor.
Then added a couple layers of darker blue watercolor. Getting darker and closer to the edges with each layer. Also a wash of green on the little hill.
I added some light-ish brown on the fox, making sure not to get the areas that I will keep white and the eyes which will end up being a nice purple color.
One more darker layer of blue around the edges and a darker layer of green. Also a little more brown on the little fox.
Now for some detail. I added some green texture on the hill using a green colored pencil. I also added some shading with a lavender pencil on the little fox and hill, but then decided to use a purple watercolor. I also added some little plants around the hill which I covered up earlier and, with that, decided to not add back the little plants that were going to be on the hill in the middle area. Lastly I added the purple eyes, a purple nose and mouth, and purple on the tips of the ears. With the eyes I made them darker towards the top and lighter on the bottom areas.
For finishing touches I added some spattered stars using the Deleter ink and some that I added individually with the the white gel pen. Also, using the gel pen, I whitened the white areas on the fox and added some shine in the eyes and on the nose.
Here’s the finished painting. I edited the colors using GIMP to make it more vivid. You might also notice, I fixed the hill under the butt/tail area. 🙂